Based on my 20 years of experience of driving to Tusheti, decided to write a clear topic about Tusheti Road.
Here are the most frequently asked questions:
- Is it dangerous?
- When it’s opened?
- How much time does it take from Tbilisi to Omalo?
- How can I get to Tusheti?
- How much does the Tusheti road trip cost?
I will try to give comprehensive answers to all. If you have more, please ask below in the comments. I will be happy to answer you.
Is it dangerous?
As I am a local, my answer will be NO! But, at the same time – YES! I will try to break down my short answers and say that it’s up to you. Some people are scared by a lion and some people by ants. Not everyone is brave like Zelenski and this road also is not for people who do not like challenges. For more clarity, I will just put one of my videos. Hope that it will give you a better answer.
Advice: If you aren’t an experienced off-road driver, don’t even think about driving by yourself!
When Tusheti road is opened?
This one is the easiest question. As usual, the road is open from the end of May till the end of October. But things change very fast. Once I remember that the first snow came on the 27 of August. So, in practice, please contact me any time, and I will provide you with the latest news about the real condition of the road by that time.
How much time does it take from Tbilisi to Omalo?
The approximate time is 6-7 hours. But as usual with tourists, it takes more. The road is very beautiful, so there will be a lot of stops for pictures. Also, you need time for lunch. It depends on weather conditions also.
How can I get to Tusheti?
There are several different ways to get to Tusheti:
- Rent a car. As I advised you before, you should be an experienced driver! If not, don’t even think about doing that!
- Drive from village Alvani with a local Tushetian driver. It’s the cheapest way, but…
- To find a good company that provides you with a full service with experienced drivers. This one is a little bit more expensive. What to do, full package and comfort require more expense.
How much does the Tusheti road trip cost?
- The price for hiring a car per day starts from 80 USD and goes up. For reference, you need an off-road vehicle.
- For the cheapest way first, you must reach the village Alvani. The price for public transport from Tbilisi costs around 8- USD. The price for a car will be around 180-200 USD. If you don’t want to pay so much, you must wait for a few more tourists to share the cost. For reference, the driver will not know English so you will have a great chance to use your body language skills fully.
- And the last is normal travel companies’ prices. Here I will just advise you to check the prices on the Internet and compare them with each other. Here are my prices for Tours in Tusheti.
Hope that this topic somehow helped you, for more questions don’t hesitate to write to me any time