Dartlo is a Unique, mysterious, fabulous, and extraordinary village of Tusheti. The village is located 1800 meters (5,900 feet) above sea level on the northern slope of the Greater Caucasus Mountains. When you are there, you feel like you are a passenger in the past. This fairytale village is 15 km farther from the administrative center of Tusheti named Omalo. Undoubtedly, with its dry stone and slate roofing – Dartlo leaves an indelible impression on visitors.
There are both Pagan and Christian religious buildings in Dartlo, which are both considered sacred. There is also a place that used to be a court. During the whole year, only a few families stay in Dartlo. Most of the population leaves the village before it snows and takes their sheep back to Kakheti.
Sustaining vernacular architecture – fortress houses primarily attract visitors and improve the livability and hospitality of the place and its residents.
A Brief History of Dartlo
Infrastructure in Dartlo
How to get to Dartlo
Dartlo has a remote location in the mountains, and getting there can be a bit challenging. Here are some options for how to get to Dartlo:
By car: The most common way to reach Dartlo is by car. The village is accessible via a narrow, winding road that runs through the mountains. The road is paved, but it can be difficult to navigate, especially for those who are not used to driving on mountain roads. The road is generally open from late May to early October, depending on weather conditions.
By tour: Several tour operators offer guided tours to Dartlo and other parts of Tusheti.Furthermore, these tour operators typically include transportation, accommodation, and meals, and are a good option for those who want a hassle-free way to visit the region.
By foot: For those who enjoy hiking, it is possible to reach Dartlo on foot. The village is accessible via several hiking trails that run through the mountains. The trails vary in difficulty and length, so it is important to plan and be prepared for the terrain.
Overall, getting to Dartlo requires some planning and preparation, but the journey is well worth it for those who want to experience the beauty and remoteness of the Tusheti region.
Assuming that you are referring to “Dartlo”, a village in Georgia, here are some useful tips if you plan to visit or stay in the village:
- Learn some basic Georgian phrases: While some people in the village may speak English, it’s always polite to try to communicate with locals in their native language. Surely, learning some basic Georgian phrases can go a long way in helping you connect with the locals.
- Dress appropriately: Dartlo is a traditional Georgian village, and it’s important to respect the local customs and traditions. Dress modestly and conservatively, especially when visiting religious sites.
- Bring cash: There are no ATMs in Dartlo, so make sure you bring enough cash with you for your stay. Also, most businesses in the village may not accept credit cards, so it’s always good to have cash on hand.
- Plan: Dartlo is located in a remote part of Georgia, so it’s important to plan for transportation, accommodations, and activities. Make sure to book your accommodations in advance, especially during the high tourist season.
- Respect the environment: Dartlo is located in a beautiful natural setting, and it’s important to respect the environment and leave no trace. Avoid littering and take care not to damage any natural habitats.
- Try the local cuisine: Georgian cuisine is known for its delicious dishes, and Dartlo is no exception. Try the local specialties, such as khinkali (dumplings), Kotori (local cheese bread), and Mtsvadi (grilled meat).
- Be open to new experiences: Dartlo offers a unique cultural experience, and it’s important to be open to new experiences and learn from the local people. Take part in traditional activities, such as making cheese or baking bread, and immerse yourself in the local culture.