Zhinvali Water Reservoir is located in the Mtskheta-Mtianeti region, north of the small town of Zhinvali, in the middle of the Aragvi River. Its surface area is 11.5 km² and the maximum depth is 75 m. The reservoir supplies drinking water to about half of the population of Tbilisi. The dam was built in 1986.
It is one of the most beautiful places in Georgia and attracts many tourists. Here you can get acquainted with important samples of Georgian culture, swim in blue water, sunbathe and enjoy the beauty of nature. The beautiful space and the blue-green, rippling water between the mountains create amazing views.
Infrastructure around the Zhinvali Water Reservoir:
- The Ananuri complex from the Georgian military roadside.
- Souvenirs for sale.
- Coffee shop.
- One small restaurant. I have never been there so can’t tell you about it anything.
- Quad bike rental point near Ananuri fortress.
How to get there:
- There are a couple of direct vans between Tbilisi – Gudauri and Stepantsminda departing from Bus Station Didube.
- Taxi. The price depends on starting point.
- By Car
Tours via Zhinvali Reservoir
Don’t forget to take a good camera. You will have great views.
There are a lot of stray dogs near the Ananuri complex. All dogs are vaccinated against rabies, so they are not dangerous. Be careful though.
Inside the complex is an active church, so it is recommended to dress modestly (covered shoulders and knees). Men need to be wearing long pants and women a long skirt. Women must also cover their hair before entering.