Infrastructure around it
- Rezo Gabriadze Marionette Theater: The Clock Tower is an integral part of the Rezo Gabriadze Marionette Theater complex. The theater hosts puppet shows, performances, and artistic events. Visitors can explore the theater’s artistic offerings and learn more about its history.
- Historic Churches: Within walking distance of the Clock Tower, you’ll find historic Georgian Orthodox churches, including Anchiskhati Basilica and Sioni Cathedral. These churches are architectural gems and offer insights into Georgia’s religious heritage.
- Rike Park: Located just across the river from the Clock Tower, Rike Park is a modern and green urban space. It features sculptures, a dancing fountain, and a cable car station that provides panoramic views of the city.
- The Bridge of Peace: The futuristic-looking Peace Bridge connects Rike Park to the historic district and offers a pedestrian route with striking contemporary architecture. It’s beautifully illuminated at night.
- Shavteli Street: The Clock Tower is located on Shavteli Street, a charming cobblestone street in Tbilisi’s Old Town. The street itself is picturesque, with historic buildings, cafes, shops, and a lively atmosphere.
- Cafes and Restaurants: Shavteli Street and the surrounding area are home to various cafes and restaurants where you can enjoy Georgian cuisine and international dishes. It’s a great place to savor local flavors.
- Historic Architecture: The Clock Tower is surrounded by historic buildings, many of which have been well-preserved and feature intricate architectural details. Strolling through the streets provides an opportunity to appreciate Tbilisi’s architectural heritage.
How to get there
The Clock Tower of the Rezo Gabriadze Marionette Theater is located in Tbilisi’s historic Old Town district, making it easily accessible by various means of transportation. Here’s how to get there:
- The nearest metro station is the Avlabari Metro Station, which is on the Akhmeteli-Varketili Line (Line 2, Green Line) of the Tbilisi Metro.
- After exiting the metro station, you can walk to the Clock Tower. It’s approximately a 15-20 minute walk.
- Tbilisi has an extensive bus network, and many bus routes pass through or near the Old Town area.
- You can check local bus routes and schedules to find a bus that stops near the Clock Tower. Popular bus stops in the vicinity include Marjanishvili Square and Freedom Square.
- Taxis are readily available in Tbilisi, and it’s a convenient way to reach the Clock Tower. You can use ride-sharing apps or hail a taxi on the street.
- Make sure to agree on the fare with the driver before starting your journey or use a metered taxi.
- If you’re already in the Old Town or nearby areas, you can easily walk to the Clock Tower. It’s a picturesque walk through historic streets with narrow cobblestone lanes.
Tours via The Clock Tower
- Check the Show Schedule: The Clock Tower often features animated performances on the hour and half-hour intervals. Check the schedule in advance to time your visit to coincide with these captivating displays.
- Photography: The Tower is a picturesque and photogenic spot. Feel free to take photos and capture the unique animations. However, be respectful of other visitors and theater rules regarding photography during performances.
- Dress Comfortably: Wear comfortable walking shoes, especially if you plan to explore the Old Town on foot. The area has cobblestone streets and uneven terrain
The Clock Tower on a Map