Digomi Forest Park – located in Tbilisi, at Digomi Massive, between Akhmeteli and Ljubljana streets. The history of the forest park dates back to 1934 when the Tbilisi Basic Seedling Farm was established here. It also had the function of a windbreak. According to the city plan, its area was 75 hectares. However today only, 20.5 hectares of this area have survived. From the day of its establishment, Digomi Forest Park has been the city’s ” lungs”. There is no similar place as Digomi Forest Park in Tbilisi.
There are about 7,000 plants in the forest park, both local, unique woody, and imported varieties. Even more, most of the local plants are included in the “Red Book” of Georgia and these species need to be specially protected.
In Digomi Park you will meet unique trees over 150 years old, in particular oaks, pines, and others, which have historical significance for Tbilisi. Therefore, Digomi Park is characterized by favorable climatic conditions – dry, moderately warm, and partly dry subtropical zones. It promotes the multiplication of imported plants.
Digomi Forest Park is one of the best walking, cycling, and relaxing places for Tbilisi citizens.
Infrastructure around the Park:
There is practically no infrastructure inside but there are several locations around the Park:
- Mari Market from Davit Agmashenebeli Ave. Warks 24/7.
- Cafe shop Maron at the intersection of Sandro Akhmeteli and Mose Gogiberidze streets.
- Supermarket Europrodact on Ljubljana street.
How to get to the Park:
- Public Bus. Price: 1 GEL
- Marshrutka (Minivans). Price: 1 GEL
- Taxi. The price depends on the starting point and will be no more than 15 GEL
- By Car or Bike.
Tours via Digomi Forest Park
- Just have a bottle of water and some snacks with you, as I already mentioned there is no infrastructure inside the park.
- An excellent place to have a picnic, but avoid the summer period. There are quite a lot of mosquitoes.
- The best place for a walk with a pet, morning exercise, or bike ride.