Tusheti trekking tour duration: 3 days
number of tourists: Unlimited
Driving distance: 450 km
Walking distance: 20 km
Tusheti trekking tour – duration three days including the road. Overnights in guesthouses. Within the tour you will be able to see: Alaverdi Cathedral, two of Tushetian valleys: Chagma and Pirikiti.
Located on the northern slopes of the Greater Caucasus Mountains, Tusheti is bordered by the Russian republics of Chechnya and Dagestan to the north and east, respectively; and by the Georgian historic provinces Kakheti and Pshav-Khevsureti to the south and west, respectively. The population of the area is mainly ethnic Georgians called Tushs or Tushetians.
Historically, Tusheti comprised four mountain communities: the Tsova (living in the Tsova Gorge), the Gometsari (living along the banks of the Pirikitis Alazani River), the Pirikiti (living along the banks of the Pirikitis Alazani River) and the Chaghma, living close to the confluence of the two rivers). Administratively, Tusheti is now part of the municipality of Akhmeta, itself part of Georgia’s eastern region of Kakheti. The largest village in Tusheti is Omalo.
Tusheti is an area in which preserved the spirit of the past, and time seems to stand still. This can be seen even through the inhabitants. The vast majority of these are shepherds who spend their days tending their herds with herding dogs. However, there are friendships minded and willing to talk to strangers, not only absorbing the news of the world, but also sharing local culture. The great attraction of this region are the stone towers that may be encountered in every village. Always there will also be an opportunity to taste the specialties of the local cuisine, simple but aromatic and hearty. So we advice you to see this magnificant land and have unforgatable memories about the real life from the past.
Trekking in Tusheti is very popular tourism attraction in the area. On your demand you can also have a horse-riding or Jeep tour around this amazing part of Georgia.
I Day: Tbilisi – Alaverdi – Kvemo Omalo – Shenako – Diklo – Pichekhi Castles
- At 7 am departure from Tbilisi to the direction of Alaverdi Cathedral through the Gombori pass.
- After visiting Alaverdi Cathedral we’ll drive to the direction of Tusheti. On the way we’ll have a lunch in nature.Even the road takes 7 hours from Tbilisi, you will not feel tiredness. All the time of driving you will have unbelievable views on caucasus mountains covered with a lot of springs and some glaciers.
- Around 14:00 pm we’ll be in Kvemo Omalo. Kvemo Omalo is the administrative center of Tusheti. From here will start the second round of your adventures.
- After a short rest we’ll drive and visit Shenako and Diklo. Shenako is one of the most interesting village of tusheti with its proud history and local people. In Diklo we’ll walk to Pichekhi Castles. This was the main fortness on the border of Dagestan, which left one of the most sad history of this amazing area.(Walking distance 3 km)
- After an interesting day we will arrive to Upper Omalo to stay in a guest house, where we’ll have a dinner, with chacha and wine degustation and free time to relax.
II Day: Trakking on Unagira mountain (3050m)
- At 9 am we’ll have breakfast.
- After breakfast we’ll continue trekking in Tusheti and go to Unagira mountain. (3050m) From here you will have picturesque views on both: Pirikiti and Gometsari valley. From the top of the range you will see villages: Bochorna, Dartlo, Kvavlo and Chesho. This trekking route is the most beautiful from the middle of June till the middle of July, with flowering Rhododendron and small lake on the top of the range. After this period flowering is over and lake disappears but the views are still impressive. (Walking distance 16 km. At desire, instead of trekking tour we can also offer you the hourse riding tour)
- At the evening we’ll go back to the guest-house in Omalo where we’ll have dinner and free time to relax.
III Day: Chesho – Parsma – Zemo Omalo
- At 9 am we’ll have breakfast.
- After breakfast we’ll visit the Keselo Castels. Then we’ll arrive back to Tbilisi. On the way we’ll have a lunch in nature.
Number of people 1 2 3 4 5 6
Price per person in USD 760 420 305 250 212 190
PRICE DOESN'T INCLUDE: Price for souvenirs